Saturday, March 20, 2010

The earth did not swallow me whole...

Hello Fellow Artists and Friends-

The earth did not swallow me whole. It only seemed that way this week. Those of you who follow this blog know I normally post while on vacation and all sorts of things. For me to go a whole week without posting new work or at least something is a bit of an oddity. Work was very busy for the past couple of weeks and we had a family funeral last weekend. Blogging just seemed to be at the bottom of my priority list. Never fear I'll be back in the studio Sunday morning and will have something to share with you all. I think first up is the still life of three apples I photographed last week. Then on to a more detailed treatment of the iris I sketched too.

It is funny I depend so much on my art to keep me balanced (hence the title of this blog) I have been able to handle a lot of added stress and strain in the last few months because of my art activities. The St. Catherine of Bologna show came at just the right time. Even though I cut art out this week to take some of the stuff off of my plate.... I realized I felt off all week and it was the lack of creativity. I forget sometimes how much that carries me through the other stuff. Does that happen to you? I am thankful everyday that I have a loving wife (and best friend), in Wenderina that fully supports my art activities. It may be years before I do this as my full time vocation. It may never actually be my full time gig, but it is essential to who I am and allows me to be the person I was meant to be.

It is warm here this weekend and the skies are a clear blue. Soon my spring photography will kick in as well. I have applied to be in several big photo shows and am waiting to hear back on my entries. I'll post here as soon as I know. I think the still life watercolor of the lemon and silver bowl I did last month also need to be entered in an upcoming show.

Keep Makin Art (it will make you feel better I swear)
Carl

2 comments:

Jo said...

I'm sorry you have had a family funeral. And yes, sometimes we have to get away from the computer and into real life for a while.

Take care!

Cheers,

Jo

Carl said...

Thanks Jo!
You are of course right. People and family come before the blog.

Carl