Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Where to Paint?


Hello Fellow Artists!
This painting is of Nauset Light on Cape Cod. It was done in the summer of '06. I have painted it a couple of times. I'd love to say I painted the finished piece on location. Alas I have not managed to work out how to enjoy Plein Air painting, at least not for finished paintings. What I like to do is to to watercolor sketches in a watercolor notebook I keep and take photos. The sketch and the photo help me to create the finished painting in the studio. I just find there are too many variables with watercolor (lighting, wind, temperature, equipment and sand to name a few) for me to be both happy and productive. I get a lot of satisfaction out of the sketches and enjoy looking at the book from time to time. It helps me capture the essential feel that made me want to paint it in the first place and can tell me things a photo can not.
How do you paint outdoors? What process works for you?

No comments: