Sunday, April 10, 2011

Dover Stone Church Falls - High Dynamic Range




This morning I went back to Dover Stone Church Falls in Dover, NY. My Cousin Marie and I met up around 8am and headed up to Dover. The overcast skies were promising as they would help to knock down the contrast. Shooting a waterfall in the back of a cave is a real challenge from the lighting perspective. In the past I had gotten good shots, but the bright whites and the dark shadows meant I would have to give something up and I would not be able to show you this little gem of a waterfall in all its glory. The same problem would happen if you shat the stream outside and tried to capture the falls in the cave.

High dynamic range to the rescue. Now I am able show you this waterfall and cave in all its glory. Thanks to HDR Efex Pro software and carefully bracketed exposures.

Thanks Marie for going out early and trecking in the woods with me so I could get these shots.

Keep Makin' Art!
Carl

7 comments:

LR Photography said...

Great work congratulations!

Dave King said...

Fantastic. Top shots. I fancy I can see all kinds of things, living and non-living, in the waters.

Carl said...

Adrian - Thanks very much.

Dave - Yes I am really please how it worked out this time. I worried when the ladder to get back to the big falls was gone, but in reality it makes better photos of the whole cave this way.

Janice Thomson said...

I always like your water shots Carl - you are definitely very good at capturing the essence of water in all its different aspects.

Carl said...

Hi Janice. Thank you. I am happy I shoot other things now, but boy do I love to photograph water and waterfalls! LOL.

Victoria Fatum said...

Really pretty spot, Carl! Nice shots of the falls!

Carl said...

Thanks Vicki - This is one of my favorite spots. I am a little bummed the ladder is gone that gets you high up to see the big fall in back of the cave. I want to try that again.... but don't think me dragging a step ladder into a cave full of running water would be too smart.