Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day


Hello Fellow Artists:


Happy Mother's day to all you Mom's out there! May have a great day with your families and loved ones.
Today Our little friend the Mountain Blue bird makes another appearance. I first sketched him in my sketchbook a few weeks ago after seeing a great photo of him on "a Focus in the Wild" (one of my favorite blogs.. You should check it out) Today's version is a little more polished. My wife asked me to make a card for her mom with the bluebird on it. I think it turned out rather nice. He's a noble little bird.
This is one of my favorite things to do when I don't know what to paint is paint greeting cards. Strathmore sells blank cards and envelopes on heavy watercolor paper. They are 5x7 in size the paintings goe quickly. One way to make them look sharp is to use painters tape and mask out a 1/4 " white boarder on the cards. They make great gifts that are frame-able in and of them selves. Give it a try! I like to either do watercolors or ink and wash on the cards. They are great for a quick half hour project and give you the wonderful satisfaction of putting brush to paper. I recommend it as painting therapy and a way to jump start yourself if you have not painted in a bit. It is also a great project to do with your nieces and nephews as a project for fun or on a rainy day!
Happy Painting,
Carl

1 comment:

Janice Thomson said...

I smiled when reading this Carl - I do the same only I usually paint little Chinese landscape pictures.
I too use tape or sometimes use the ink for a border as well. It is indeed wonderful therapy.
Love your little bluebird painting - it is a most charming picture.