Monday, September 29, 2008

Barn Painting - First Wash

Hello Fellow Artists and Art Lovers:



Here is the first wash on the barn. Sky is graduated wash of 'dirty cobalt blue'. I achieve this with a dish of palette scraps leaning towards gray. I charge a brush with cobalt blue and use that as my dark sky color. Is is very atmoshperic that way. at the horizon line I dropped cadmium orange into the wet sky wash and turned it upside down at a 30* angle to flow the orange up into the sky wash.



Next will be the foreground in a warm wash. followed by the barn in the mid ground and then details at the end of the week. The 5x7 test will be done then and I will decide what to keep and what to change in the "final painting". Sometimes the 5x7 tests are much freer and looser than the final painting and end up among my favorites.

Peace,

CS

1 comment:

Mama Lou said...

I feel so fortunate to have seen the finished painting. How good it is to be your mother-in-law and have access to your talent in painting. You truly have great vision and if Cape Cod does not accept your portfolio then they do not have any idea of real talent!!