Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Katterskill Falls - Thomas Cole


Hello Fellow Artists,


Well my long winter hibernation is drawing to a close. How about you? I think it was the daylight savings shift or something, but finding myself driving home through the Catskills at night and being able to see reminds me of the project I started last summer. I bought some books on waterfalls of the Hudson Valley and Catskills. I discovered that some of the waterfalls of my favorite Hudson River School paintings are not difficult to find and hike to. OK some are not easy, but others are not bad. I photographed some and have had them at one time or another on the site. I plan to paint watercolors of some. Most notably I photographed Bash Bish and Indian Brook. This spring I plan to shoot Katterskill Falls. Pictured here from the beautiful Thomas Cole painting. I hope to photograph and paint Fawn's Leap and Awosting

Falls. One is easy the other a bit tougher to get to. I will do a post in the coming days on my process for photographing waterfalls. I will break it into the capture portion and the post capture workflow portion. I'll also include tips for you die hard film based photographers. I profess a nostalgic love for shooting with film once in a while. there is something satisfying about shooting with film. There are some simple techniques you can use to get GREAT waterfall shots. This Shot of Indian Brook in Garrison, New York is pretty easy to get to and is a great waterfall to start photographing. I am very lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the country around any bend in the road on almost any day there is a wonderful scene ready to be painted or photographed.
What about the approaching spring gets your artistic juices flowing and makes you want to get out there and make great art.

Happy Painting,

Carl

1 comment:

Wenderina said...

Take me with you...at least for the easier hikes. I'll try not to complain too much (memories of the volcano sunrise?)